Tuesday, December 17, 2013

A Diagnosis in Time for Christmas

I was 17 when my dad was diagnosed with Melanoma, a deadly and dangerous form of skin cancer. And to determine if the cancer had spread, a PET scan was done. His lungs lit up on a PET scan, and my family began preparing for the implications and hardships cancer brings, especially one that appeared to have spread to a delicate part of the body. We later found out my dad has a disease in his lungs called Sarcoidosis, which was why his lungs lit up on the PET scan. The cancer was removed and my dad is cancer free to this day.

A week ago I too, at the age of 28, was diagnosed with this same dangerous form of skin cancer called Melanoma. My dermatologist called and informed me that surgery needed to take place as soon as possible in attempt to get the Melanoma off of me and examine how deep the cancer had spread, if at all. Surgery was scheduled for the next day, and one of the longest 24 hours of my life began.

I found my mind wandering into the "what ifs". Everything from what chemo will be like for a mommy of two little ones to even the thought of death. If this cancer has spread and it is terminal, how will I live my last days? What is God's purpose in this? Will Tim's next wife be cute?... She can't be cuter than me. She better be good to my girls!

I was also so blessed by these 24 hours of waiting. I was still. My thoughts were clear. I noticed the details of my girls and Tim. I sat and watched and listened and soaked up everything. My priorities were in check. And God felt closer than ever... and I think He has always been so close... I was just unaware of it till now.

I was so proud of my God and thankful for Him and my salvation. I was shocked that my biggest fear in all of this was not death. I am redeemed because of Jesus Christ. Praise God for that rugged cross! And praise God for the empty tomb! My debt is paid... paid in full! Sin does not have a hold on me! And I get to spend eternity with my amazing God... and my two babies I lost in previous miscarriages... and my PawPaw...and so many precious others...

The next day I had surgery (the skin cancer was on my right leg, near my shin). While I have to wait 1-2 weeks from the day of the procedure to find out the final results from a lab, my dermatologist felt confident the cancer was localized and superficial (meaning on the top layers of my skin and therefore has not spread).

So this Christmas and everyday for that matter, I am celebrating Jesus Christ's birth with clarity. I'm not going through the motions this year. His birth is not being overshadowed by busy holiday schedules, presents, santa, recipes, cooking, preparing, and anything else that might come our way this Christmas. And actually while I'm celebrating Christmas (His Birth), I'm just going to go ahead and celebrate Good Friday and  Easter (His death and Resurrection) while I'm at it! Join me?

Lord, thank you for your Son... really, thank you! Thank you for His birth, His death, and His resurrection! Because of Him I will be with You eternally! Thank you for the timing of this diagnosis. It has allowed me to look to You and praise Your Son just in time for Christmas, the celebration of my Savior's birth. Help me to remember this daily... even if it takes cancer or any other hardship to remind me. Amen.


1Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ,2through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. And web boast in the hope of the glory of God. 3Not only so, but we also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance;4perseverance, character; and character, hope. 5And hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, who has been given to us.
6You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ died for the ungodly. 7Very rarely will anyone die for a righteous person, though for a good person someone might possibly dare to die. 8But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:1-8


18Consequently, just as one trespass resulted in condemnation for all people, so also one righteous act resulted in justification and life for all people. 19For just as through the disobedience of the one man the many were made sinners, so also through the obedience of the one man the many will be made righteous.
Romans 5:18-19

No comments:

Post a Comment