Monday, September 26, 2011

Romans 12:12

"Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer."(Romans 12:12) This has been our prayer for the past year and a half, and we are so blessed for a gracious loving God. We are happy to be able to say that PAYSLI FAITH MATTHEWS IS HERE!!! Wow, what a long exhausting journey but one we are gracious for! Paysli Faith Matthews was born Friday, September 2nd, 2011. She weighed 8 lbs 10 oz and was 21.75 inches long. Tim and I are so in love and obsessed with Miss Paysli.





















Paysli is now three weeks old and oh how much we have learned! We have had several days and long nights of learning how to care for a baby. I must admit, we were pretty terrified of learning how to care for a newborn, but we love it. Yes, even when we are sleep deprived or clueless about what to do, we still love it. The first few days we were blessed with amazing nurses. It is funny to think back to the first feeding, diaper change, etc. We were so nervous and probably looked pretty ridiculous caring for our daughter. I had to learn to not freak out every time she cried. Yes, babies cry... and it's okay! For Tim, he would constantly tell himself out loud "okay, just go for it" when diving into a diaper change, feeding, or burping. By our second day in the hospital, Tim was ready to go home and take on the challenge on our own. I on the other hand, was still in shock that we would be taking this precious little human-being home and be completely responsible for her. Tim and I had several entertaining conversations in the hospital where we would remind each other that yes this is our child, no we are not babysitting for someone, and she would be our daughter FOREVER. By the end of the first week there was a HUGE transformation in our care taking skills and we knew we would be great parents.






















The second week I took on the role of being at home with Paysli completely by myself. After the first day, I realized how great of a baby I had (of course I'm alittle biased). My family and friends had joked while I was pregnant, that our soon to be daughter would probably be quite a handful. Between Tim being ADHD and me never being much of a sleeper, we had envisioned Paysli being up all hours of the day and night and having a strong personality from day one. My first day alone with her she proved to be much much different than we ever expected. Paysli definitely loves her sleep. So much so, I constantly poke at her throughout the day to make sure she is okay. She displays a pretty laid back personality. She loves being held, being put down, on her back, on her tummy, in a swing, in her crib, and anywhere else her mommy tries to experiment with. She did seem to have her nights and days slightly mixed up, but we seemed to have fixed this issue within a week or so. The second week Paysli was sleeping all day, and from about 9 PM to 1 or 2 AM she would have her "party" as mommy and daddy called it. This was when she woke up to see the world... finally! As exhausted as we were during this time, we were  excited to see her eyes and her personality so we joined her party. At Paysli's 2 week appointment she was 9 1/2 lbs and 22.5 inches. Our little girl is growing up!






















This past week, Paysli has woken up quite a bit. Before, she would wake up to eat and be changed and was back to sleep by the time I finished feeding and burping her. Now she is up for 30 minutes to an hour after most feedings, except for the ones at night. I feel like she is changing daily! I can't believe she is almost a month old.




Tim and I still continually remind each other that we are parents. I love watching Tim with Paysli. He loves his little girl! I constantly catch him just starring at her, praying over her, and yes having conversations with her about "not needing any boy except for her daddy". Tim has also been an amazing husband during this new adventure called parenting. Being a hormonal mess after birthing a child, he has turned my moments of crying into laughter. He always has the best jokes or reactions to stressful moments. My favorite moment this past month has to be when we gave Paysli her first sponge bath. At this point I had not gotten over the fear of Paysli crying... and she was letting us have it while bathing her. I was frantic while trying to clean her up and noticed her booty was a little red. Tim went to get the Butt Paste and was going to apply it. I was waiting frantically for Tim to apply it while I held her. I finally turned around wondering what my husband was doing and why he was so quiet and calm during this time of chaos... ummm Tim was reading the directions on how to apply the paste. Okay, maybe it's just me but the title of the product seems pretty self explanatory... Butt...Paste. I anxiously told him (I may have raised my voice) to hurry up. And he did. But he put a handful all over Paysli. Before I knew it, I was re-bathing Paysli due to the mass amount of Butt Paste all over our newborn. When I asked him what he was doing (my voice may have still been raised) he replied "the directions say to apply liberally". We both began to hysterically laugh as our one week old continued to scream at us. It is little moments like this one that we will always cherish and laugh about.

We cannot thank our friends and family enough over the past year and a half. We can't wait to tell Paysli about how many people  were praying for her before she was even on this earth.  Through all the hurt, sadness, doctor appointments, surgeries, medications, etc. we would not change a thing. We have learned so much about ourselves, our marriage, and our faith. We get goosebumps when we hear or read the prayer that our pastor prayed over us at our wedding.  "Father, grant them enough tears to keep them tender, enough hurts to keep them humble, and enough failure to keep their hands tightly clinched in Yours. Yet please oh God enough success to reassure them that You are their God and You walk faithfully with them." He is our God and He walks FAITHfully with us!

No comments:

Post a Comment